COWAN CREEK. Cowan Creek rises about two miles southwest of Tow in extreme northeastern Llano County (at 30°52' N, 98°29' W) and runs east for two miles to its mouth on Lake Buchanan, a half mile from the intersection of Ranch roads 2241 and 3041 (at 30°52' N, 98°27' W). It traverses an area of the Llano basin with flat to rolling terrain, covered with soils ranging from sandy to clay loams that support open stands of live oak and mesquite. David and Gideon Cowan and their mother, Ruth, were the earliest settlers in the Tow area on the west bank of the Colorado River; they arrived in 1852 from Tennessee.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."COWAN CREEK," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/rbcmc), accessed September 04, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.