DAMN BRANCH. Damn (Dam) Branch, a springfed intermittent stream formerly known as Spring Creek, rises a mile east of Hix in far northeastern Burleson County (at 30°42' N, 96°39' W) and runs east five miles to its mouth on the Brazos River, on the Brazos county line (at 30°41' N, 96°35' W). It traverses gently rolling to nearly level terrain surfaced by loamy and clayey soils that support post oak, blackjack oak, elm, and hackberry along its banks. Settlement in the area began in 1830 when the Mexican government constructed Fort Tenoxtitlán at the mouth of the creek where the Old San Antonio Road crossed the Brazos. Though the fort was abandoned a few years later, a trading post and settlement remained there until about 1860. Fraimville, later known as Hix, was founded a mile west of the headwaters of the creek about 1850. Rita was established on the south bank of the lower creek about 1890. Farm Road 1362 was constructed over the stream in the mid-1900s.
Burleson County Historical Society, Astride the Old San Antonio Road: A History of Burleson County, Texas (Dallas: Taylor, 1980). Malcolm D. McLean, "Tenoxtitlán, Dream Capitol of Texas," Southwestern Historical Quarterly 70 (April 1967).