GYPSUM CREEK (CHILDRESS COUNTY)
GYPSUM CREEK (Childress County). Gypsum Creek rises in central Childress County (at 34°38' N, 100°11' W) and winds south and southeast for nine miles to its mouth on the Prairie Dog Town Fork of the Red River (at 34°34' N, 100°09' W). Dave Bowers built the county's first dugout near the mouth of Gypsum Creek in 1879, when he brought the first Diamond Tail Ranch cattle to the Panhandle. In 1883 the creek became part of the Shoe Nail Ranch. The local terrain is generally rolling with steep slopes and is surfaced by loamy soils that support juniper, cacti, scrub brush, and grasses.
Pauline D. and R. L. Robertson, Cowman's Country: Fifty Frontier Ranches in the Texas Panhandle, 1876–1887 (Amarillo: Paramount, 1981).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."GYPSUM CREEK (CHILDRESS COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/rbg96), accessed July 07, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.