HOLLAND CREEK. Holland Creek, a perennial stream, rises three miles east of Anderson in central Grimes County (at 30°30' N, 95°56' W) and flows southwest for eleven miles to its mouth on the Navasota River (at 30°26' N, 96°05' W). It traverses an area of gently sloping terrain surfaced by clay soils that support grasses and mesquite. Patches of post oak, elm, and pecan woodlands line the creek in its upper reaches. Settlement in the area began with the arrival of Andrew Millican, who took land on the middle creek about 1820. In 1822 Francis Holland bought Millican's land and helped other families move to the area, which became known as Hollandale. Settlement of the upper creek began in 1833 when Henry Fanthorp purchased the eastern third of Holland's tract and established the Fanthorp Inn the next year. The community of Alta Mira, which developed on the west bank near the inn, was renamed Anderson in 1846 and soon became the county seat. The still-extant lumbering community of Apolonia was founded about 1835 on the creek's headwaters three miles east of Anderson.
E. L. Blair, Early History of Grimes County (Austin, 1930). Grimes County Historical Commission, History of Grimes County, Land of Heritage and Progress (Dallas: Taylor, 1982).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."HOLLAND CREEK," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/rbh91), accessed October 10, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.