HILLEBRANDT BAYOU. Hillebrandt Bayou rises slightly northwest of Beaumont in northern Jefferson County (at 30°08' N, 94°09' W) and passes through western Beaumont as it runs southeast for a total of twenty-three miles to its mouth on Taylor Bayou, just outside Port Arthur's western corporate boundary (at 29°54' N, 94°04' W). The bayou was probably named for Christian Hillebrandt, an early Jefferson County settler who owned land along its banks. Hillebrandt Bayou is intermittent in its upper reaches, which were once known as Double Point Bayou. It has been dredged and channeled in its upper reaches to improve drainage in western Beaumont; nearer the bayou's mouth, its waters are used by pumping stations to help irrigate rice farms in central Jefferson County.
Florence Stratton, The Story of Beaumont (Houston: Hercules, 1925).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."HILLEBRANDT BAYOU," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/rbhcl), accessed August 05, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.