INDIAN CREEK (JASPER COUNTY)
INDIAN CREEK (Jasper County). Indian Creek rises five miles north of Jasper in northern Jasper County (at 31°00' N, 94°01' W) and runs southwest for twelve miles to its mouth on the Angelina River, 1½ miles north of Bevilport (at 30°57' N, 94°09' W). The stream passes through rolling terrain characterized by loamy, sandy surface soils and reddish mottled clay and loam subsoils. These soils support the pine, flowering dogwood, white oak, and water oak trees of the East Texas piney woods. In 1847 Andrew F. Smyth built a sawmill on Indian Creek to use the swift currents produced by the water rushing downhill into the Angelina River. A large whirlpool at the mouth of Indian Creek was powerful enough to force a flatboat to the bank. A church was constructed in 1849 near the sawmill and a small community established. Indian Creek Academy was constructed there by residents in 1854. In the fall of 1860 the church was used as a meeting place to discuss secession.
William Seale, Texas Riverman: The Life and Times of Captain Andrew Farney Smyth (Austin: University of Texas Press, 1966).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."INDIAN CREEK (JASPER COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/rbi15), accessed October 08, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.