INDEPENDENCE CREEK. Independence Creek rises 1½ miles east of U.S. Highway 285 in eastern Pecos County (at 30°30' N, 102°32' W) and runs southeast sixty miles to its mouth on the Pecos River, two miles southwest of the Dunlap Ranch headquarters in eastern Terrell County (at 30°27' N, 101°43' W). Eleven tributaries join Independence Creek: Hackberry Draw, North Draw, Harral Draw, Seventeen Draw, Surveyor Canyon, Mitchell Draw, Deer Canyon, Horsehead Canyon, Oil Well Canyon, Dry Creek, and North Canyon. The course of Independence Creek dissects massive limestone on flat plains, traverses caliche on rolling terrain, and crosses wash deposits on steep to gentle slopes. Generally dark, calcareous stony clays and clay loams support cacti, scrub brush, creosote bush, oaks, junipers, grasses, and mesquites. In October 1875 Lt. Andrew Geddes, with two companies of cavalry and Black Seminole scouts, crossed the Pecos River at the mouth of Independence Creek in pursuit of raiding Indians. Henry Packingham established an early ranch on Independence Creek. He reported 1,000 cattle at his Independence Creek ranch on the 1890 county tax roll.
Terrell County Heritage Commission, Terrell County, Texas (San Angelo: Anchor, 1978). Clayton W. Williams, Texas' Last Frontier: Fort Stockton and the Trans-Pecos, 1861–1895 (College Station: Texas A&M University Press, 1982).