MCBEE CREEK. McBee (McBee's) Creek rises (at 32°45' N, 96°05' W) in northwestern Van Zandt County five miles northwest of Wills Point and runs northeast for fourteen miles to its mouth (at 32°47' N, 95°53' W) on the Sabine River, two miles southwest of Lake Tawakoni. The creek was probably named for William H. McBee, who in 1850 secured a league and a labor of land on the creek west of what is now Wills Point. On his land he built a treadmill-powered mill for grinding corn. The Texas and Pacific Railway later dammed the creek to form a reservoir two miles northeast of Wills Point. The reservoir, with a capacity of 511 acre-feet, was used primarily for irrigation. The area terrain is flat with local shallow depressions and is surfaced by clay and sandy loams that support water-tolerant hardwoods, conifers, and grasses.
William Samuel Mills, History of Van Zandt County (Canton, Texas, 1950).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."MCBEE CREEK," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/rbm37), accessed July 07, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.