Members Only Area
Bookmark and Share
sidebar menu icon


MIXON CREEK. Mixon Creek rises near the crossing of Farm roads 532 and 957, one mile southeast of Moravia in northern Lavaca County at a point (29°35' N, 96°59' W) and runs southeast, passing the communities of Old Kinkler, Kinkler, and Vsetin and crossing U.S. Highway 77, for 17½ miles to its mouth on the Navidad River, one mile northwest of Sublime (at 29°29' N, 96°49' W). The first half of its course passes through generally open, gently rolling rangeland and pastureland of loamy sand and clay layers over denser layers of clay. In its lower reaches the stream enters floodplain soils densely wooded with oak, pecan, hackberry, and sycamore and subject to periodic flooding. Wildlife in the lower reaches is abundant, and the thickets near the Navidad River are as nearly impenetrable now as they were during the late 1800s. Mixon Creek is named for the family of William M. Mixon, who enlisted first as a private in Oliver Searcy's state service unit on June 6, 1861, and, when this was disbanded, in Company D, Twenty-seventh Texas Cavalry, on January 1, 1863.


Paul C. Boethel, On the Headwaters of the Lavaca and the Navidad (Austin: Von Boeckmann-Jones, 1967).


The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.

"MIXON CREEK," Handbook of Texas Online (, accessed September 04, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.