OXBOW CREEK. Oxbow Creek rises in western Hall County (at 34°26' N, 100°56' W) four miles north of Turkey and runs northeast for ten miles to its mouth (at 34°32' N, 100°49' W) on the Little Red River, four miles northwest of the intersection of State Highway 86 and Farm Road 657. The first headquarters for what became the Shoe Bar Ranch was built on the creek by Leigh R. Dyer in 1879 and later was occupied by J. K. Zimmerman and Will J. Lewis. The creek crosses an area characterized by moderately sloping terrain and muddy and sandy soils. The vegetation consists primarily of mesquite and grasses.
Virginia Browder, Hall County Heritage Trails, 1890–1980 (2 vols., Canyon, Texas: Staked Plains, 1982, 1983). Laura V. Hamner, Short Grass and Longhorns (Norman: University of Oklahoma Press, 1943). Pauline D. and R. L. Robertson, Cowman's Country: Fifty Frontier Ranches in the Texas Panhandle, 1876–1887 (Amarillo: Paramount, 1981).