STIFF CREEK. Stiff Creek rises one mile east of Melissa in north central Collin County (at 33°19' N, 96°32' W) and runs southeast for five miles into Sister Grove Creek a mile south of Altoga (at 33°13' N, 96°29' W). It was probably named for Jesse Stiff, who owned the land where the stream rises. The creek passes through a moderately to gently rolling land surface with clayey soils. The vegetation consists of oak, juniper, and grasses. In 1856 the Stiff Creek school was built near the banks of the stream, six miles northeast of McKinney. Because of seasonal flooding a spillway was constructed just north of Altoga in the 1950s.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."STIFF CREEK," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/rbsgw), accessed August 30, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.