TWELVE MILE CREEK (AUSTIN COUNTY)
TWELVE MILE CREEK (Austin County). Twelve Mile Creek, also known as Richards Creek, rises three miles west of Wallis in southeastern Austin County (at 30°59' N, 101°51' W) and runs southeast two miles, through open country, to its mouth on Allens Creek (at 30°57' N, 101°42' W). Nearly level terrain is surfaced by clay that supports stands of water oak-elm, pecan-elm, and live oak woods on the banks near the mouth. Anglo-American settlement in the vicinity of the creek began during the early 1830s. The stream is known as Twelve Mile Creek because of its distance from San Felipe de Austin. The former name of Richards probably was for Stephen Richardson, one of Austin's Old Three Hundred colonists, who patented a league of land at the mouth of the creek in 1831.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."TWELVE MILE CREEK (AUSTIN COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/rbtas), accessed July 07, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.