WALNUT CREEK (GRIMES COUNTY)
WALNUT CREEK (Grimes County). Walnut Creek rises fifteen miles southeast of Navasota and 1½ miles north of the Waller county line in southeast Grimes County (at 30°16' N, 95°55' W) and flows southeast for twenty-four miles, through Waller and Montgomery counties, to its mouth on Spring Creek two miles west of the Montgomery-Harris county line and five miles from Tomball in Harris County (at 30°06' N, 95°41' W). The stream flows through flat to rolling terrain surfaced by sandy and clay loams that support hardwood and pine forests. On February 13, 1687, René Robert Cavelier, Sieur de La Salle, crossed the lower stream heading north toward the Trinity River on one of his many forays into the Texas interior in search of the Mississippi River. Permanent settlement of the area began in 1829, when J. G. W. Pierson established the community of High Point on the prairie between upper Walnut and Hurricane creeks.
Robin Navarro Montgomery, The History of Montgomery County (Austin: Jenkins, 1975).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."WALNUT CREEK (GRIMES COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/rbw23), accessed October 14, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.