YEGUA CREEK. Yegua Creek begins in Lee County at the junction of East and Middle Yegua creeks in Somerville Lake (at 30°19' N, 96°45' W). It flows east as part of the Burleson county line for almost thirty-one miles to its junction with the Brazos River in southeastern Washington County (at 30°23' N, 96°18' W). Yegua Creek, or one of its tributaries (Middle, East, and West Yegua creeks), is dammed to form a series of lakes including Wilkins, Ward, Baker, Edwards, Gerland, Draeger, Field, Mueller, C and H, Lamb, Newman, Robbins, and Butler. The creek flows through flat terrain with local shallow depressions where water-tolerant hardwoods, conifers, and grasses cover clay loam and sandy loam soils. Yegua Creek has been identified as the stream called San Francisco by Alonso De León in 1690.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."YEGUA CREEK," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/rby03), accessed August 04, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.