CARVAJAL CROSSING. Carvajal Crossing, a natural rock-bottomed ford across Cibolo Creek in north central Karnes County, was the best-known ford along the old cart road that went from the Texas coast to San Antonio. Situated halfway between Goliad and San Antonio, the crossing was in close proximity to the old Fuerte del Santa Cruzqv and the ranch headquarters of Andrés Hernández, who may have had the first ranch in Texas. Old maps and journals designated the crossing at various times as Tawakoni Crossing, the Crossing of the Tehuacanas, or Cibolo Crossing. About 1830 José Luis Carvajal, scion of Canary Islanders from San Antonio, acquired the ranch property adjoining the crossing, and since that time the ford has been called the Carvajal Crossing.
Robert H. Thonhoff, "The First Ranch of Texas," West Texas Historical Association Year Book 40 (1964).