CAPOTE HILLS. The Capote Hills are near the headwaters of O'Neal Creek, twelve miles southeast of Seguin in southeastern Guadalupe County (at 29°29' N, 97°47' W). The highest of these hills, Porter Knob, stands at 670 feet above mean sea level, 150 feet above the surrounding landscape. José de la Baume received the first land grant in the area in 1806; he renewed the grant with the Mexican government in 1828. Michael H. Erskine bought the Capote Hills Ranch in the early 1840s.
Willie Mae Weinert, An Authentic History of Guadalupe County (Seguin, Texas: Seguin Enterprise, 1951; rpt. 1976).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."CAPOTE HILLS," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/rjc71), accessed August 03, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.