DOUBLE MESA. Double Mesa is north of State Highway 25 in Archer County. A French fort or trading post operated there in the 1700s. Around 1772 Chief Nortends and several Pani-Maha and Wichita Indians built a trading village of mud to increase commerce in horses, mules, and slaves with the Europeans. French trader Jean Baptiste Lowasard traded at the post, and J. Gaignard of Opelousas, Louisiana, visited on February 16, 1774. The post stood three miles west of Archer City, in what is now the Harris Subdivision Club Ranch.
Jack Loftin, Trails Through Archer (Burnet, Texas: Nortex, 1979).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."DOUBLE MESA," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/rjd27), accessed August 01, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.