LOZIER CANYON. Lozier Canyon, through which Lozier Creek flows intermittently, begins in southeastern Terrell County at the confluence of Meyers and Thurston canyons, one-half mile north of Cedar Draw (at 29°59' N, 101°52' W), and runs southeast for twenty-one miles to its mouth on the Rio Grande, three miles west of the Val Verde county line (at 29°48' N 101°48' W). Lozier Canyon runs its entire course in southeastern Terrell County, and its five tributaries make it vital to the drainage of the area. Cedar Draw joins the canyon one-half mile north of Malvado. Coyote Canyon enters Lozier Canyon one-half mile south of the Southern Pacific Railroad tracks. Pumpville Canyon merges with it one-half mile south of Lozier. Antonio Creek converges with it 1½ miles west of the Val Verde County line. And Palma Canyon meets Lozier Canyon 3½ miles before it reaches the Rio Grande. Lozier Canyon crosses chalk, wash, and limestone deposits on rolling prairies and flat terrain. Soils of the area are generally dark, calcareous, stony clays and clay loams. Vegetation consists primarily of oaks, junipers, grasses, and water-tolerant hardwoods and conifers. Lozier Canyon was named in honor of an Indian chief. On May 10, 1897, the Black Jack Gang robbed a train of $6,000 in Mexican silver near Lozier Canyon.
Ed Ellsworth Bartholomew, 800 Texas Ghost Towns (Fort Davis, Texas: Frontier, 1971). Virginia Madison and Hallie Stillwell, How Come It's Called That? Place Names in the Big Bend Country (Albuquerque: University of New Mexico Press, 1958).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."LOZIER CANYON," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/rkl04), accessed October 09, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.