LOST VALLEY. Lost Valley, also known as Big Lost Valley, is a twenty-square-mile region surrounded by a rim of hills; it is twenty miles west of Jacksboro in western Jack County. Lost Valley was included in the Peters Colony grant made by the Republic of Texas. Possibly it received its name from an error by land surveyors, who apparently overlooked the valley when they mapped the area. Lost Valley is famous as the home of rancher James C. Loving and the Loving Land and Cattle Company. The area also acquired a reputation as an "Indian Death Trap" because of the frequent engagements between Indian raiders from the Indian Territory (later Oklahoma) and Anglo-American settlers in the valley. Perhaps the most famous encounter occurred in July 1874, when a company of Texas Rangersqv dispersed a band of Apaches, Kiowas, and Comanches led by Lone Wolf. The Indians hoped to regain the valley, which had once been populated by herds of buffalo. Spy Knob, one of the hills around the valley (located near the community of Jerymyn), served as a viewing station for both rangers and Indians during the nineteenth century. Monuments and tombstones commemorating early settlers who died in the Indian conflicts mark many points in Lost Valley. In the 1980s Lost Valley was a ranching area populated by many residents descended from early settlers.
Donnie Cervantes, "Lost Valley-An Indian Death Trap," Junior Historian, September 1956. Thomas F. Horton, History of Jack County (Jacksboro, Texas: Gazette Print, 193-?). Ida Lasater Huckabay, Ninety-Four Years in Jack County (Austin: Steck, 1949; centennial ed., Waco: Texian Press, 1974). Vertical Files, Dolph Briscoe Center for American History, University of Texas at Austin (Jerymyn, Texas; Lost Valley Fight).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Mary Carter Turner, "LOST VALLEY," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/rkl07), accessed March 07, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.