JAMES RIVER. The James River rises 4½ miles southeast of Noxville in southeastern Kimble County (at 30°21' N, 99°29' W) and runs northeast for 36½ miles to its mouth on the Llano River, six miles south of Mason in Mason County (at 30°39' N, 99°15' W). Though it is intermittent in its upper reaches, it becomes generally free-flowing beginning at James River Spring and continues for thirty-two miles before becoming intermittent again a few miles above its mouth. The section of the James River upstream from its junction with the Little Devils River was, until 1976, sometimes called the West Fork of the James River. In 1860 Wiles Joy and Lafe McDonald became the first white settlers on the James River. Sometime in the early 1900s the Noxville post office moved to the James River from the Little Devils River.
Ovie Clark Fisher, It Occurred in Kimble (Houston: Anson Jones Press, 1937).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."JAMES RIVER," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/rnj01), accessed August 02, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.