LAKE WALK. Lake Walk, a commercial reservoir built for power generation, was four miles below Devils Lake Dam on the lower Devils River, eleven miles northwest of Del Rio in southeastern Val Verde County (at 29°31' N, 100°59' W). The dam was in the main channel of the river, and the North Fork of San Pedro Creek fed into the lake from the east. Lake Walk stood surrounded by massive limestone and expansive clay mud on sharply dissected terrain. Dark, calcareous stony clays and clay loams supported oak, juniper, grasses, and some mesquite. Many limestone caves and rockshelters along the river were inhabited by Indians as long as 6,000 years ago. These primitive people left their art on the walls of the caves. When the lakes were built on the lower river and the area was flooded, the prehistoric paintings were lost forever. In 1853 Julius Froebel passed down the lower Devils River and described the valleys that were later covered by Lake Walk and by Devils Lake as green, and the river as a broad and crystal stream. Albert J. Myers reported the lower river to be singularly beautiful when he saw it in 1855. Lake Walk Dam was completed in May 1929 by Central Power and Light Company. Though the purpose of the lake was to store water for the generation of electricity, it was used also for fishing, boating, and swimming. The dam was a slab-and-buttress-type reinforced concrete structure. The reservoir capacity was 5,400 acre-feet of water, and its surface area was 380 acres. A walkway ran the entire length of the dam with an entrance above the normal high water level at either end. The dam and lake may have been named for this feature. Lake Walk and its dam were inundated by Amistad Reservoir the summer of 1968.
C. L. Dowell, Dams and Reservoirs in Texas: History and Descriptive Information (Texas Water Commission Bulletin 6408 [Austin, 1964]). Del Weniger, The Explorers' Texas (Austin: Eakin Press, 1984).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."LAKE WALK," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/rol83), accessed August 29, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.