LAKE STRIKER. Lake Striker, formerly known as Striker Creek Reservoir, is on Striker Creek in the Neches River basin eighteen miles southwest of Henderson straddling the Rusk and Cherokee county line (centered at 31°56' N, 94°59' W). The project is owned and operated by the Angelina and Nacogdoches Water Control and Improvement District No. 1. Water is used for municipal purposes, by the Texas Power and Light Company for condenser-cooling water for a steam-electric generating station, and by the Southland Paper Company, which contracted to purchase 10,000 acre-feet of water annually. Construction started on July 23, 1956, and was completed in July 1957. The reservoir has a capacity of 26,700 acre-feet and a surface area of 2,400 acres at the normal operating elevation of 292 feet above mean sea level. The drainage area above the dam is 182 square miles, and the local terrain is flat to rolling and surfaced by sandy and clay loams that support water-tolerant hardwoods, conifers, and grasses.
C. L. Dowell, Dams and Reservoirs in Texas: History and Descriptive Information (Texas Water Commission Bulletin 6408 [Austin, 1964]).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Seth D. Breeding, "LAKE STRIKER," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/rolmb), accessed August 01, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.