LAS MORAS SPRINGS
LAS MORAS SPRINGS. Las Moras Springs, the ninth largest group of springs in Texas, is on the property of Fort Clark in Brackettville (at 29°19' N, 100°25' W). The springs rise under artesian pressure from the Edwards and associated limestones and pass through a fault in the overlying formation. Their average discharge from 1896 to 1978 was about 160 gallons a second. Las Moras Springs was used by prehistoric people and served as a stop on both the Old Spanish Trail from San Antonio to El Paso and the later military road from Eagle Pass. In 1840 a cavalry unit drove Comanches from their village at the springs. The mulberry trees for which the springs are named were first described by W. H. C. Whiting after a visit in 1849. The springs irrigated gardens and lands at Fort Clark and Brackettville by 1852 and later powered an ice plant. They temporarily quit flowing in the summer of 1964, probably because of heavy irrigation pumping from the Edwards limestones, and again in June 1971. In 1987 the water supplied a large swimming pool.
Gunnar Brune, Springs of Texas, Vol. 1 (Fort Worth: Branch-Smith, 1981).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Gunnar Brune, "LAS MORAS SPRINGS," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/rpl03), accessed August 05, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.