LEONCITA SPRINGS. The Leoncita Springs are a group of historically important springs 18½ miles northeast of Alpine in Brewster County (at 30°39' N, 103°26' W). Many artifacts, such as stone projectile points and metates, have been found at the site, attesting to its long occupation by Indians. The Spaniard Juan Domínguez de Mendoza was guided to these springs by Indians in 1684. Various old maps refer to them as Barrancas or Barnabas Springs. From 1857 to 1883 there was a stage station at the springs, on the San Antonio to El Paso route through Musquiz Canyon. In 1859 Lt. William Echols stopped here with his camel train (see CAMELS). Gen. Henry H. Sibley's command passed the springs in 1861, calling them McColmes Springs, and the freighter August Santleben, stopping there in 1869, recorded them as Leon Seto Springs. The springs issue from Cretaceous rock adjacent to an igneous uplift, giving rise to Paisano Creek. In 1976 the springs still flowed 4½ liters a second, though the average discharge has decreased. During the 1980s the springs were on private property.
Gunnar Brune, Springs of Texas, Vol. 1 (Fort Worth: Branch-Smith, 1981).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Gunnar Brune, "LEONCITA SPRINGS," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/rpl05), accessed July 04, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.