CAVE WITHOUT A NAME
CAVE WITHOUT A NAME. Cave Without A Name is four miles off Farm Road 474 and ten miles northeast of Boerne in southeast central Kendall County (at 29°53' N, 98°37' W). It was discovered in 1927, when a goat fell through a hole into the cavern. In the mid-1930s some exploration was conducted. The property was originally owned by a rancher named Short and then purchased by James L. Horne. The Horne Ranch, Incorporated, developed the cavern, which was opened to the public in 1939. Horne held a contest to name the cave. While visiting it a young boy commented that it was too pretty to have a name. He won the contest with his suggestion, Cave Without A Name. Over the years, however, the cave has been known by various other names, such as Century Caverns and Short Ranch Cave. Estimates of the cave's age vary from 100 million up to 400 million years, when the land was covered by a shallow sea that carved out large underground cavities. The temperature in the cavern is a constant 66° F, and the cavern floor is approximately 100 feet below the surface. Cave Without A Name is at least 80 percent active and consists of a large corridor that is subdivided into several rooms. The cavern contains many large formations that vary in color from white to amber, brown, and red, due to mineral content. Also present are some of the largest calcite formations called bacon strips in the United States, as well as deposits resembling white grapes and other shapes. Striking features include the formation called "Mary and Christ" and a series of travertine-dammed pools. Gravel walkways wind through each room. The tour ends at an underground river that spelunkers have explored and mapped up to 3 ½ miles upstream. In the 1990s the cave was owned by Eugene and Jolene Ebell and open to tourists Wednesday through Monday. Though heralded as one of the state's more scenic caves, it was not largely advertised. No other recreational or camping facilities were on the property.
Image Use Disclaimer
All copyrighted materials included within the Handbook of Texas Online are in accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107 related to Copyright and “Fair Use” for Non-Profit educational institutions, which permits the Texas State Historical Association (TSHA), to utilize copyrighted materials to further scholarship, education, and inform the public. The TSHA makes every effort to conform to the principles of fair use and to comply with copyright law.
For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use, you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Handbook of Texas Online, Laurie E. Jasinski, "Cave Without A Name," accessed May 30, 2016, http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/rqcxs.
Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.
Get Texas history every day,
with day by day
Each day's email tells a little bit more of the story of Texas and links to our collection of more than 27,000 articles