SMITH POINT. Smith (Smith's) Point, at the Galveston county line on Farm Road 562 in southwestern Chambers County (at 29°32' N, 94°46' W), divides East Bay and Galveston Bay. In 1805 Spanish troops landed at the point to repel foreign invasion and quell disturbances at Atascosito. The strategic point served as a terminal for mail boats and a starting point for horseback routes up to 1915. The terrain at the point consists of low ridge and swale vegetated by grasses and some oaks.
Chambers County Centennial Committee, Chambers County Centennial, 1858–1958 (1958). Miriam Partlow, Liberty, Liberty County, and the Atascosito District (Austin: Pemberton, 1974).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."SMITH POINT," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/rrs13), accessed August 04, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.