GROCE'S FERRY. Groce's Ferry, also known as Groce's Landing, was at the site of Jared E. Groce's Bernardo Plantation, at the Madelina or Coushatta (Coushatti, Coshate) crossing of the Brazos River in what is now Waller County. Immigrants to Texas who used the crossing were entertained at Bernardo's Bachelor Hall. In 1829 the ayuntamiento of San Felipe de Austin provided for the Groce slaves to work the road from the landing to the intersection of the road running to Gustavus E. Edwards's place. Leonard Waller Groce, Groce's eldest son, was operating this plantation at the time the Texas army camped on the west side of the river a half mile from the ferry from March 31 until April 14, 1836, and established a hospital on the east side of the river near the plantation house. Houston's army crossed the swollen waters of the river at Groce's Ferry on the steamboat Yellow Stone en route to the battle of San Jacinto. By 1948 the Brazos had so changed its course that the army campsite was on the east side of the river in a shallow gully overgrown with cottonwood trees.
Nan Thompson Ledbetter, "The Muddy Brazos in Early Texas," Southwestern Historical Quarterly 63 (October 1959). Waller County Historical Survey Committee, A History of Waller County, Texas (Waco: Texian, 1973). Frank E. White, History of the Territory that Now Constitutes Waller County, Texas, from 1821 to 1884 (M.A. thesis, University of Texas, 1936).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Sarah Groce Berlet, "GROCE'S FERRY," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/rtg02), accessed March 09, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.