LIPAN FLAT. Lipan Flat, a plain of high grass in the hilly country of east central Tom Green County, runs east and west for twenty miles just south of San Angelo (at 31°24' N, 100°20' W). The flat, in the 1990s part of a rich cotton and feed belt, has shallow to moderately deep clay loam that originally supported oak, juniper, mesquite, and grasses. In 1886 John Bunnell of Kentucky first settled in the area near the site of what is now Wall, but major settlement in the vicinity occurred during the early 1900s, when nearly three-fourths of the flat was still in pasture.
San Angelo Standard-Times, August 29, 1954.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."LIPAN FLAT," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/rxl03), accessed October 13, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.