NIBLETT'S BLUFF. Niblett's Bluff is in Calcasieu Parish, Louisiana, on the old east channel of the Sabine River ten miles northeast of Orange. According to the 1840 official survey by a joint commission representing the United States and the Republic of Texas, the bluff was then known as Millspaw's (Millspaugh's), and the settlement there was called Jericho. Except for the map and survey, no other record of either name has been located. By 1860 both the site and the settlement were called Niblett's Bluff. This site was one of the early crossings from Opelousas and the Atakapa country in southern Louisiana into Texas. During the Civil War, especially in 1863 and 1864 when the federals were probing for a point through which to invade Texas, Niblett's Bluff was a gathering place for recruits and supplies for the Confederacy's Trans-Mississippi Department. There was also a military hospital there. In 1958 the Louisiana and Texas divisions of the United Daughters of the Confederacy placed a gray granite marker at the cemetery site as a memorial to the more than thirty men buried there. In the riverboat and lumbering eras of post-Reconstructionqv times, Niblett's Bluff enjoyed a period of growth and prosperity. A post office was established there in 1873 but was discontinued in 1884. From 1877 to the 1930s the Lutcher-Moore Lumber Company of Orange used the bluff area as a log yard for its Orange sawmill and as a railroad terminal. Logs were delivered from forests in Louisiana and rafted downstream. On January 7, 1966, the Lutcher-Moore Lumber Company conveyed a tract of thirty-one acres to Louisiana for future development as a historical state park. By the 1970s all that remained of Niblett's Bluff was a widely scattered rural community, a church and cemetery, and a few vacation homes.
Lake Charles American Press, August 15, 1965. Cooper K. Ragan, ed., "The Diary of Captain George W. O'Brien, 1863," Southwestern Historical Quarterly 67 (July, October 1963, January 1964). Frank E. Vandiver and Eugene C. Barker, eds., "Letters from the Confederate Medical Service in Texas," Southwestern Historical Quarterly 55 (January 1952).