TEXAS VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION
TEXAS VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION. The Texas Veterinary Medical Association was organized in Fort Worth on April 30, 1903, to improve the practice of veterinary medicine through continuing education and exposure to the successful methods of others. Mark Francis, graduate of the Ohio State University School of Veterinary Medicine and faculty member and researcher in the Texas Experiment Station at Texas A&M, inaugurated the association to disseminate information in such veterinary matters as recent treatments of domestic animal diseases. In 1910 a rival organization was formed under the name of State Veterinary Medical Association. In 1916 the two groups united as the State Veterinary Medical Association. In 1953 the name Texas Veterinary Medical Association was again officially adopted. The TVMA was made a Texas nonprofit corporation in June 1962 and has maintained its executive office in Austin since 1966. By 1992 the 2,800-member TVMA, through its executive office, officers, and statewide directors, supervised thirty-six active committees to serve the public and the profession. Board certification in the various species and organ specialties is in part coordinated through TVMA. TVMA sponsors the Texas Academy of Veterinary Practice, which coordinates a seminar schedule and logs credit hours. The association maintains communication with the veterinary research program and the veterinary diagnostic laboratory at Texas A&M to keep practicing veterinarians informed about animal health subjects.
"Texas Veterinary Medical Association, 1924–1935," Texas Veterinary Bulletin 20 (March-April through September-October 1958). George C. Shelton, "From Whence We Came," Texas Veterinary Medical Journal, July-August 1987.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Robert E. Norton, "TEXAS VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/sat03), accessed April 18, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.