TEXAS ENTOMOLOGICAL SOCIETY
TEXAS ENTOMOLOGICAL SOCIETY. The Texas Entomological Society was formed by fifteen entomologists in Austin on November 23, 1928, at which time a slate of three officers was elected and the name of the society was adopted. A committee was appointed to draw up the constitution and bylaws to be presented at the next meeting. The second meeting was held on February 5, 1929, in Houston, where the constitution was adopted. The purpose of the society was to promote the exchange of experiences and ideas among entomological workers in the state and surrounding territory and to promote the study and advance the science of entomology. At the time there were many state, federal, and commercial entomologists working in Texas on a wide variety of insect problems. Although many of these entomologists belonged to the American Association of Economic Entomologists, they did not believe that this organization adequately met their regional needs. Since meetings of the national organization were not held in the Southwest, entomologists from the area nearly always had to travel east of the Mississippi to attend meetings. Most of the founders of the Texas society anticipated that this organization would someday become a branch of the AAEE and worked toward that end. Although most of the members were from Texas, many were from Oklahoma and New Mexico. The society registered 106 members in 1935, and by 1949 the membership had increased to 329. Attendance at the annual meetings was generally good. In the early years it was not unusual to have twenty-five to fifty entomologists present. In 1950 there were 194 paid registrants. The annual programs of the society were directed toward some aspect of insect control; most of the entomologists in the state were involved in economic entomology. Attention was also given to the subjects of general entomology, history of entomology, and insect biology and taxonomy. In the later years there was a decided increase in papers presented on insecticides for use in insect control. The society published no journal. In 1949 the society petitioned the AAEE for affiliation. Approval was granted by vote of membership of that organization in 1950 to establish the Southwestern Branch. The Texas Entomological Society ceased to exist after twenty-two years of service and was replaced by the Southwestern Branch of AAEE, which enrolled entomologists in New Mexico, part of Mexico, Oklahoma, and Texas. The Southwestern Branch of the AAEE became affiliated with the Entomological Society of America in 1953. The last business meeting of the Texas Entomological Society was conducted in Houston on January 20, 1950.
Image Use Disclaimer
All copyrighted materials included within the Handbook of Texas Online are in accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107 related to Copyright and “Fair Use” for Non-Profit educational institutions, which permits the Texas State Historical Association (TSHA), to utilize copyrighted materials to further scholarship, education, and inform the public. The TSHA makes every effort to conform to the principles of fair use and to comply with copyright law.
For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use, you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Handbook of Texas Online, Horace R. Burke, "Texas Entomological Society," accessed January 19, 2017, http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/tnt01.
Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.