MOORE'S FORT. Moore's Fort, near La Grange in Fayette County, was a twin blockhouse built in 1828 by John Henry Moore as a place of defense against Indians. The Texas Centennial Commission placed a marker at the site in 1936. The American Legion of La Grange occupied the site in 1994.
La Grange High School, Fayette County: Past and Present (La Grange, Texas, 1976). Harold Schoen, comp., Monuments Erected by the State of Texas to Commemorate the Centenary of Texas Independence (Austin: Commission of Control for Texas Centennial Celebrations, 1938).