MISSISSIPPI TEXAS LAND COMPANY
MISSISSIPPI TEXAS LAND COMPANY. The Mississippi Texas Land Company was founded in Pontotoc, Mississippi, on January 8, 1836, by Benjamin Reynolds, R. P. Currin, James Davis, William Davis, C. Crusman, John D. Martin, A. V. Brown, Willis W. Cherry, A. R. Covan, and William K. Hill for the purpose of trading and speculating in lands in Texas. According to the articles of this association, each partner had to furnish $2,000 for the company to invest in land. On May 8, 1836, the agent of the company, William K. Hill, is stated to have bought 8¼ leagues north of the Trinity River. This land was part of an eleven-league grant belonging to William Hardinqv and sold for $5,000.
Articles of Association of the Mississippi Texas Land Company (MS, Benjamin Franklin Papers, Dolph Briscoe Center for American History, University of Texas at Austin.)
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Andreas Reichstein, "MISSISSIPPI TEXAS LAND COMPANY," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/ufm02), accessed September 05, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.