SONS OF CONFEDERATE VETERANS
SONS OF CONFEDERATE VETERANS. The Sons of Confederate Veterans was organized as the United Sons of Confederate Veterans in Richmond, Virginia, on July 1, 1896, under the auspices of its parent organization, the United Confederate Veterans. J. E. B. Stuart, son of the famous cavalry leader, was its first commander-in-chief. The organization is composed of three departments, the Army of Northern Virginia, the Army of Tennessee, and the Army of the Trans-Mississippi. The departments are organized into divisions that generally follow state lines, each divided into local camps. From the beginning the Texas Division has had local camps in all the major cities of the state. The organization's chief project is the preservation and maintenance of Beauvoir, last home of President Jefferson Davis, located at Biloxi, Mississippi, and owned by the Mississippi Division. Membership is open to men who are lineal or collateral descendants of those who served honorably in the Confederate Army or Navy, provided such applicants are over twelve years of age; those members under sixteen years of age may not vote. Greg Hector was commander of the Texas Division in 1995. The general headquarters has been located in the War Memorial Building, Jackson, Mississippi, since 1955.
Robert Leland Johnson, Sons of Confederate Veterans (Denver, 1993). Sons of Confederate Veterans, The Commanders-in-Chief of the Sons of Confederate Veterans (1987).
Image Use Disclaimer
For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Modified on April 4, 2011. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.