TEXAS ALMANAC. The first edition of the Texas Almanac was issued by theGalveston News in January 1857. The focus of the earliest editions of the Texas Almanac was on history and the workings of the state government. An edition was published each year through 1873, except for 1866, totaling sixteen annual editions. The editions for the years 1862–65 were of pamphlet size, ranging from forty-eight to sixty-four pages. The editions for the years 1857–61 were published in Galveston, the first two by Richardson and Company, and the later three by Willard and David Richardson, publishers of the Galveston News. The 1862–65 editions were published by David Richardson, the first in Houston, according to the preface, though the work had probably been done in Galveston before evacuation of that city by Confederate forces. The last three Civil War editions were published in Austin. Post-Civil War publication was resumed in Galveston in 1867 by Richardson and Company. The edition of 1873, however, bore the imprint of Richardson, Belo and Company, the only early edition to carry the name of Col. Alfred H. Belo. With the 1869 edition, the name was changed to The Texas Almanac and Emigrant’s Guide to Texas, reflecting the state’s need to attract settlers. In addition to these annuals, a triweekly Texas Almanac Extra was published in Austin from October 14, 1862, to June 6, 1863. Despite the name and the fact that it was issued by one of the two men who had published the regular edition, it was, in fact, a newspaper, totaling 105 issues. This total includes two broadsides issued on September 17 and 18, prior to the first regular issue. There were also eighteen supplements, most of which were issued during the session of the Texas legislature early in 1863.
After 1873, the next edition of the Texas Almanac was published in 1904 by the DallasMorning News, a sister publication of the Galveston News. To reflect another change in focus, the name was changed to Texas Almanac and State Industrial Guide, the designation that is still used. Following another hiatus, the Almanac resumed publication with editions in 1910, 1911, 1912, and 1914. Another gap in the series ensued with the outbreak of World War I. The present series was begun in 1925 by the Dallas Morning News, with annual editions through 1929, when the effects of theGreat Depression caused a change to a biennial basis. This schedule has been maintained, with these exceptions: the Almanac that should have been issued for 1935–36 was actually issued in 1936 in recognition of the Texas Centennial; a 112-page supplement to the 1936 edition was issued in 1937; the next edition of theAlmanac was in 1939, which was the last Almanac to bear a single year’s designation. Beginning with the 1941–42 edition, all Almanac have carried a two-year designation. There have been four special editions: the 100th anniversary of the Almanac (1956–57); the George Bannerman Dealey memorial edition (1958–59); the 100th anniversary of the first issuance of the Texas Almanac and the 125th anniversary of the founding of A.H. Belo Corporation (1966–67); and the Texas Sesquicentennial edition (1986–87), celebrating the 150th anniversary of the founding of the Republic of Texas. By 1950 the Texas Almanac had become a reference book on resources, industries, commerce, history, government, population, and other subjects relating to the political, civic, and economic development of Texas. Two facsimile editions of the 1857 Texas Almanac have been produced. The first was published in 1966 by the Dallas Morning News, and another was issued in 1986 by Glen’s Sporting Goods of Irving, Texas. Stuart Malcolm McGregor, who had edited the Texas Almanac since 1925, retired in 1961 after publication of the 1961–62 edition, which was dedicated to him by the publishers. The editorial policies and format that he established were continued in later editions. In 1961 Walter B. Moore became editor of the publication. Fred R. Pass succeeded him in June 1973. Upon Pass’s resignation in 1981, Michael T. Kingston became editor, serving as editor until his death in 1994, at which time Mary G. Crawford was named editor.