The Southwestern Historical Quarterly brings the latest and most authoritative research in Texas history to a wide audience of history lovers and scholars. Since the Quarterly can only publish approximately sixteen articles each year, it is our editorial policy to publish original research on Texas history topics that have the greatest historical significance and the broadest reader interest.
The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, continuously published since 1897, is the premier source of scholarly information about the history of Texas and the Southwest. The first 100 volumes of the Quarterly, more than 57,000 pages, are now available online with searchable Tables of Contents.Select issues are also available online at the Portal to Texas History, JSTOR, and Project MUSE.
Printed copies of the Quarterly are a benefit of membership in the Texas State Historical Association and are widely available in public and private libraries.
Cover: the International & Great Northern depot at the corner of Congress Avenue and 3rd St. in Austin, late nineteenth century. C00308, Russell Chalberg Collection of Prints and Negatives, Austin History Center, Austin Public Library. This issue of the Southwestern Historical Quarterly features “‘Our Grand Excursion’: A North Carolinian’s Trip across Texas by Rail, May 1874,” edited by the late Robert Topkins. This article features the observations of J. A. Stradley, a Baptist minister from North Carolina who took an extended trip by rail throughout Texas when he came to the Lone Star State for a convention in Jefferson. Austin was one of the many cities and towns he visited.
Cover: This issue of the Southwestern Historical Quarterly marks a significant transition for the Texas State Historical Association. After more than six years at the University of North Texas in Denton, the TSHA is returning to where it all began: Austin. Cover illustration: Abe Frank Cigar Co., publisher, Curt Teich Co., printer. The State Capitol, Austin, Texas. ca. 1920. Tinted halftone. Amon Carter Museum of American Art, Fort Worth, Texas.