Driven by the belief that without an understanding of our history, every generation must start over, the Texas State Historical Association (TSHA) strives to research, document, and preserve the values and spirit that are uniquely Texas.
As the 14th-largest economy in the world and the fastest growing of the 50 states, Texas continues to grow and expand its influence worldwide. And TSHA is committed to expanding with it.
Here are just a few examples:
- The demand for trustworthy Texas history information is on the rise. Over the past 12 months, our two flagship websites, the Handbook of Texas Online and the Texas Almanac, have received more than 13 million views. And visitors to the web pages are not just logging on at home; 2.6 million of these web views were from mobile devices—with that number more than doubling each year.
- Our educational programs now reach more students than ever before. Whether it is our Junior Historian program that has been continuously running since 1939, our Texas Quiz Show program for elementary and middle school students in eight regions throughout the state of Texas, one of our many teacher workshops with Texas Historians, or our Walter Prescott Webb Historical Society program on college campuses, TSHA is making an impact within the academic community. In fact, our educational programs, including online initiatives, now affect the lives of more than 1,028,000 students annually.
- There has been a recent resurgence in TSHA membership. We have always believed that our growth and impact as a historical organization must be fueled by our members. Members of TSHA are a special group of people who share our passion for Texas history. They understand the importance of not only preserving it through peer-reviewed scholarly research, but also propagating it through publication, education, and mass communication. Over the past three months, we have seen our membership grow by more than 10 percent—and it is continuing to grow at a rapidly accelerating rate.
In essence, the revival of Texas pride has placed unprecedented demands on the Texas State Historical Association . . . but we are up for the challenge!
As the renewed interest in Texas spurs more demand for our trusted and renowned resources, TSHA is more committed than ever to sharing the rich heritage of Texas and keeping it alive for future generations.
When you become a member of the Texas State Historical Association, you get insider access to special content and benefits that are not available anywhere else. Every member will receive:
- The Southwestern Historical Quarterly—This publication has been continuously published since 1897 and is the most sought-after source of original research on Texas history. Members will receive all four issues every year.
- The Riding Line Newsletter—This content-packed newsletter is sent four times a year and will keep you in the loop about local historical happenings, recent publications, and other resources that TSHA is working to make available every day.
- Insider Updates from the Executive Director—As a member of the Texas State Historical Association, you will have insider access to updates about the exciting projects and initiatives that are under way at TSHA. This is another way that we can express our deep appreciation for your investment in protecting our rich Texas heritage.
- Special Invitations to Attend Exclusive Events—Members of TSHA receive invites to exclusive meetings and events like our Annual Meeting. Hosted in a different Texas city each year, the Annual Meeting is the largest gathering of its kind for Texas history enthusiasts.
Become a member of the Texas State Historical Association today and join an elite group dedicated to the rich heritage and proud history of this great state! Simply complete the form below with your information and your most generous donation, and we will instantly activate your membership.