Since 1897, a select group of very special people have made a pledge to keep Texas history alive. They have been driven by the belief that without an understanding of our history, every generation must start over. They are a proud group. Like the defenders of the Alamo, they stand up while others stand down. Like Sam Houston, they lead rather than follow. They are helping to preserve the important lessons from the past so that our children and their children will have something to look forward to and learn from.
Who are these special men and women? They are the members of the Texas State Historical Association.
The Texas State Historical Association (TSHA) is the most trusted organization preserving Texas history for future generations.
- The Handbook of Texas Online provides more than 27,000 authoritative entries on Texas subjects and reaches more than 6 million people each year from every state and in more than 200 countries around the world.
- For 115 years, we have published the Southwestern Historical Quarterly. This scholarly journal, which is used by thousands of researchers each year, has been a major source for most of the textbook accounts of Texas and Southwest history.
- We publish the Texas Almanac every two years, a comprehensive resource on Texas history, government, business, and culture that has been in continuous publication since 1857, and we maintain an online archive of all volumes.
- We have published more than 235 books and have one of the largest online resources (more than 250,000 pages!) of historical Texas content available for free to all who have an interest in the Lone Star State.
- More than 1,028,000 students benefit each year from both our educational programs that involve hands-on research and our vast online resources.
Now, you too can become a member of this exclusive club.
When you join us today as a member of the Texas State Historical Association, you will be part of a unique group of people dedicated to standing as vanguards of our proud Texas heritage and will help us continue to develop innovative programs that bring history to life.
For example, TSHA was one of the first historical associations to begin digitizing its entire archive of content—which spans more than 115 years—and making it available to the world free of charge on the Handbook of Texas and Texas Almanac websites. Today, more than 500,000 people access these websites every single month.
Insider access to Texas history.
Members of the Texas State Historical Association get more than just satisfaction that they are helping preserve our Texas history; they also get access to special benefits unavailable anywhere else.
When you become a member today, you will automatically be added to receive our special newsletter Riding Line. This content-packed newsletter is sent four times a year and will keep you in the loop about local historical happenings, recent publications, and other resources that TSHA is working to make available every day.
You will also receive the Southwestern Historical Quarterly. This publication, which has been continuously published since 1897, is the premier source of scholarly information about the history of Texas and the Southwest. The Southwestern Historical Quarterly brings the latest and most authoritative research in Texas history to a wide audience of history lovers and scholars. Because the Quarterly can only publish approximately 16 articles each year, we only publish original research on Texas history topics that have the greatest historical significance and the broadest reader interest. You will not find content like this anywhere else!
In addition to these benefits, members of TSHA receive invitations to exclusive meetings and events, like our Annual Meeting. Hosted in a different Texas city each year, the Annual Meeting is the largest gathering of its kind for Texas history enthusiasts. The meeting includes special keynotes from Texas history scholars as well as sessions on all aspects of Texas history, from before Spanish colonial rule into the 21st century. There are also the ever-popular workshops on the Handbook of Texas, TSHA publications, and TSHA educational programs that will help you get the most out of your membership.
Join TSHA online today, and your membership will be activated instantly!
When you become a member of the Texas State Historical Association, you get insider access to special content and benefits that are not available anywhere else.
Every member will receive:
- The Southwestern Historical Quarterly—This publication has been continuously published since 1897 and is the most sought-after source of original research on Texas history. Members will receive all four issues every year.
- The Riding Line Newsletter—This content-packed newsletter is sent four times a year and will keep you in the loop about local historical happenings, recent publications, and other resources that TSHA is working to make available every day.
- Insider Updates from the Executive Director—As a member of the Texas State Historical Association, you will have insider access to updates about the exciting projects and initiatives that are underway at TSHA. This is another way that we can express our deep appreciation for your investment in protecting our rich Texas heritage.
- Special Invitations to Attend Exclusive Events—Members of TSHA receive invites to exclusive meetings and events like our Annual Meeting. Hosted in a different Texas city each year, the Annual Meeting is the largest gathering of its kind for Texas history enthusiasts.
Become a member of the Texas State Historical Association today, and join an elite group dedicated to the rich heritage and proud history of this great state! Simply complete the form below with your information and your most generous donation, and we will instantly activate your membership.