Click your proposed answers below, and then simply press the "Submit
Answers" button. Good luck!
Which of the following Texas towns was named after one of the heroes of
the battle of San Jacinto?
All five of the following Texas towns or cities were originally forts,
with four of the five being built in the late 1840s and early 1850s, as
an attempt was made to protect settlers heading west. One of the towns
was originally known as Chihuahua. It became one of the most important
towns in the Trans-Pecos country, by virtue of its position at an
important crossroads. Around 1900, its mild climate and mountain
location made it a popular summer resort for Gulf Coast families. It is
situated a few miles from the University of Texas McDonald Observatory,
and tourism remains an important part of its economy. Which town is it?
All five of the following towns or cities were once official or
unofficial capitals of Texas, both before and during the Republic of
Texas. One of these five served as the site of the first capital of an
elected government for the republic, from September to December 1836,
and was the site where Sam Houston was inaugurated as president in
October 1836. Stephen F. Austin died there in December 1836. Which
location is it?
With Texas never known for being modest, the following Texas towns each
carry the names of other famous world locations. One of these towns is
also known as the Black-Eyed Pea Capital of the World. It is located
west of Tyler, and is the county seat of Henderson County. Its name was
suggested by Dulcina Holland, who hoped the town might become a cultural
center. Which town is it?
The following five towns or cities share their names with Texas rivers.
One of the five grew around a presidio of the same name, founded in
1718. Its river was named by a Spanish expedition, and five Spanish
missions were located on the river. The town was also the site of
several famous battles. Which town is it?
The following five towns were each named directly or indirectly for
Catholic saints. One of the towns, located in East Texas, is located on
the historic Camino Real and served as a gateway to Texas from
Louisiana. It is the site of a historic Spanish mission. Sam Houston
lived and practiced law there, and represented the community in the
Convention of 1832. Which town is it?
The following five towns are all ports on or near the Gulf of Mexico.
One of them was founded in 1895, with the original intent of becoming a
tourist resort. Its growth accelerated on a different basis, however,
after the eruption of Spindletop in 1901, with the building of several
oil refineries in the area. It is now a major oil-refining and
petrochemical center. Which town is it?
Texas has always been known for its solid rock foundation, built in part
on its extensive rocky soils. The five towns below are but a subset of
the rocky town names in Texas. One of the five towns was originally
named Brushy Creek when it was established in 1848. When it got its
first post office in 1854, it was renamed for a certain rock from which
the two founders liked to fish. The town has enjoyed significant growth,
and is now known for its winning baseball team. Which town is it?
Balancing its rocky image, Texas is also known for its rivers and lakes.
Most of following five towns are named for interesting lakes across the
state. One of these towns was popular with American Indians, but first
became a settlement in 1835. It became known as a health resort, due to
its mineral waters and oil seepages near the lakeshores. Sam Houston
visited it in the early 1860s. Oil discoveries in 1902 made it a
boomtown, with oil production ultimately reaching 50,000 barrels per
day. Which town is it?
Sometimes when The stars at night are big and bright--deep in the heart
of Texas, we are actually seeing planets. Perhaps this is why the five
small Texas towns listed below are named as they are. One of the five
was formerly known as Gossip, and is located some 20 miles east of
Cleburne in eastern Johnson County, southwest of Dallas. The community
was actually renamed in honor of the daughter of a local physician when
it became recognized in 1888. By the mid-1890s, it was one of the most
prosperous towns in Johnson County. Which town is it? (P.S. to town
planners: According to the TSHA's Handbook of Texas Online, there are no
Texas towns yet with the names of Jupiter, Neptune, or Uranus. There is
an Earth, Texas, in Lamb County.)