Go to Page | Index | Contents 101     | Biblio. | Page- | Page+

Lamar's Efforts to Promote Trade

Nueces, a few miles above Lipantitlán and less than forty-five miles from Corpus Christi, thus indicating that only the lower Río Grande region was to be included. Lamar had just recently acquired a league of land fronting on Copano Bay,[3]  which was now expected to become a scene of considerable business activity and from which he, Samuel A. Plummer, and others hoped to profit. After presenting his passport to the commanding officer at Casa Blanca on the Nueces, the trader would then be free to proceed to either San Antonio or Goliad to dispose of his goods or items of trade and to make such purchases as he desired. Since, however, there was no military post then at Casa Blanca, the traders would, in the interim until one could be established, be permitted to proceed directly to either San Antonio de Béxar or Goliad, where, upon presentation of their passports to the highest military or civil authority, they would receive permits to trade. The trade was to be "free of duties or exactions of any kind" so long as similar exemptions were accorded to the citizens of Texas carrying goods into northern Mexico to trade. As for those who might enter without passports and "with horses or cattle for sale," declared the President, "such horses or cattle shall be taken by . . . [the] authorities and retain[ed] until information of their capture can be communicated to the Mexican authorities aforesaid near the Río Grande."

As a means of furthering the cause of trade and navigation generally, the Secretary of Navy was directed by Congress to have surveys made, as soon as possible, of the bars and entrances to Galveston, Velasco, Paso de Cavallo, Aransas, and the Sabine, and to mark each with "a good and sufficient buoy or buoys, in such manner that the channels

Treasures of the Southwest, pp. 95-96, presumes that a fort and residence was built on the land before 1807, and that an important ranch developed in the area.

The Casa Blanca mentioned here is not to be confused with the house by the same name erected by Don Erasmo Seguin before the Revolution upon his ranch between San Antonio and Floresville in what is now Wilson County. Seguin's house was "situated about four miles north-west of Floresville and one-half mile west of the highway to San Antonio." Frederick C. Chabot, With the Makers of San Antonio, p. 120; William Kennedy, Texas: The Rise, Progress and Prospects of the Republic of Texas, II, 43; Lon Tinkle, 13 Days to Glory: The Siege of the Alamo, p. 149.

3. Reuben H. Roberts to M. B. Lamar, Aransas [Texas], June 26, 1838 (Private), Mirabeau B. Lamar to ________ Griffith, Houston, Aug. 15, 1838; Sam[uel] A. Plummer to M. B. Lamar, on Board Correo [en route to New Orleans to raise money to enable Lamar to hold his townsite], Feb. 16, 1839; Same to Same, New Orleans, March 12, 1839; all in Lamar Papers, II, 174-175, 202-203, 452, 492, 516-517.

Go to Page | Index | Contents 101     | Biblio. | Page- | Page+

AFTER SAN JACINTO: The Texas-Mexican Frontier, 1836-1841
Joseph Milton Nance, 1963