known as the John Anderson School, which was begun in 1848. The Rev. John Anderson, the chief and principal of the literary part of this school, was educated in Ireland. He came to America and settled first in New York, was a minister of the old Presbyterian faith, and preached at a church on Canal and Broadway in the City of New York for a period of four years. The curriculum of this school in Clarksville reached into the higher branches of education, particularly in mathematics and languages. In fact, it reached higher than any of the state universities throughout the entire South. Mrs. Margaret Anderson, wife of the Rev. John Anderson, was of noble birth in Ireland. She was highly educated in music, and was said to be perhaps the best educated person in music throughout the whole country. She received her musical education in the best schools of Europe. She had pupils here at Clarksville prior to the war between the North and South from New Orleans, St. Louis, and all the country round about. The results of her teaching in music remain to be heard and seen down to the present age.
Following up the Anderson school, we come to the notable period of state public school interests, which began in the late 1870's when public lands of Texas were being set apart for public school purposes. One of the grandsons of Rev. John Anderson, as a citizen of Red River County, had passed in a political convention in 1892, a resolution far-reaching, as to its beneficial effect on