The land certificate which Mrs. Isabella H. Clark received from Henry Stout was located on 20 and a fraction labores of land which included the town of Clarksville. The time when the Stout certificate was located on Clarksville site is not left by the records of Red River County, but it is evident that Clarksville stood for at least four years on the land which was unappropriated public domain.
Records show that the patent to this land was issued on May 16, 1842. (Deed Record of Red River County, 8325 et seq.) The delay of this record could hardly be attributed to the boundary line dispute as between Texas and Arkansas, for this was fixed in 1841. It is more reasonable to surmise that the land remained abundant and valueless for a long time after the village of Clarksville had its beginning, and that the postponement regarding the delay was merely incidental.
The tract was most irregular in shape. There were 22 calls
[see Henry Stout survey on map] which indicate the surveyor's fondness for detail and accuracy of
description. It grants the land to Mrs. Isabella H. Clark, assignee of
Henry Stout. It bears in name the State of Texas, the official signature
of George T. Wood, Governor, and that of George W. Smith, Commissioner
of the General Land Office. This patent remained unfiled for record
until March 30, 1850, and was not filed in the deed record of Red River
County up to April 13, 1850, nearly two years after the instrument was